The Top 6 Things To Do Near Kichanga Lodge
Kichanga Lodge is a beautiful, award winning hotel that makes the best use of its location- the gorgeous Michamwi Beach. While there’s a lot to do in Kichanga itself, you could step out and enjoy some of what the country has to offer. Zanzibar is beautiful and gives many opportunities to enjoy and explore.
- Stone Town- the historic Stone Town is a must-see for every tourist and traveler. This ancient space has interesting stores and coffee shops. Its labyrinthine streets are a treat to walk on. As are the sights. The Museum, the cemetery and the Gardens are steeped in history and can give you many hours of exploration and enjoyment. Of special note is the House of Wonders, with its pillars and balconies. The huge doors have inscriptions in Portuguese and have stood the test of time.
- Spice Tour- Zanzibar is world famous for its spice trade. Part of the experience is to enjoy the spices. Experienced guides will take you on a tour of the spice plantations and teach you about the cultivation and harvest of the spices. You can buy some spices and carry them home for your loved ones too. Many tours have cookery classes at the end of the tours too.
- The Rock- the people who run Kichanga Lodge also run the iconic Rock Restaurant. Depending on the tide, the restaurant can be reached by walk or has to be reached by boat. The waters surround the restaurant and create a great ambience for a memorable meal. Simple ingredients, a menu that embraces the world, the spices and fruit and vegetables that enhance the taste of even the simplest of meals- there’s a lot to enjoy at The Rock.
- Jozani Forest- the last of the indigenous forests of Zanzibar, the Forest is easily accessible by taxi or bus. Jozani is spread over 2512 hectares and is home to the red Colobus monkey. This is a place to spend many hours taking in the sights and sounds of the forest.
- The Night Market- held every night at Forodhani Gardens, the night market is full of life. The smells, tastes and sights of the market are unforgettable. Sample the local fare, drinks and food, music and the way of the people and learn what makes the country so unique. From sugarcane juice to samosas and Zanzibari pizza, this place has a lot to offer.
- Old Fort- the present home of the Zanzibar Culture Centre, the Old Fort is one of the oldest in East Africa. Head to Stone Town to see this 17th century edifice. The Fort had many roles to play- a prison, a protection from the Portuguese and a place of execution. The office of the world famous Zanzibar International Film Festival is also here. The open air theatre here is the venue for many of the events that happen in Zanzibar. Buy your souvenirs from the many stores that are present here. In the process, learn more about the history of the country and its people.