6 Things to Do in Zanzibar 2018
Zanzibar is a holiday paradise. From its history laden sites to its pristine beaches, this is the place to be for a wonderful, adrenaline-filled time. Here are the top 6 things to do in Zanzibar 2018:
- Festivals – From the cultural staple that is the music festival of Sauti za Busara to the other mainstay – the Zanzibar International Film Festival, this country has many festivals to visit and enjoy. Apart from these two, of special note is the beach and watersports festival that takes place there too. You might not connect Zanzibar with cutting edge movie and music festivals and you’d be very wrong. Visit these spaces and see what it’s like to be at the forefront of movie magic and cultural music heritage.
- Stone Town and Spices – The oldest neighborhood in Zanzibar is the historic location of Stone Town. It is famous for its spices and its palaces, its bathhouses and its winding labyrinthine streets. The Town is also home to a church that dates back to the 19th century. While here, do check out the House of Wonders and the 17th century Old Fort. If you’re a Queen fan, you’ll be delighted to know that the first house of Freddie Mercury is here. Immerse yourself in the aroma of the spices and enjoy your time here.
- Jozani Forest – Get to the Jozani Chwaka Bay National Park and get to the forest. This is home to the Zanzibar red colobus monkey as well as 40 species of birds and 50 types of butterflies. Jozani is a safe haven for some endangered animals as well like the servaline genet and the Aders’ duiker. Walk along the nature trail and take in the beautiful greenery of this clean, pure space.
- Prison Island – Changuu Island or Prison Island is not as scary as it sounds. In fact, it has pristine waters and a gorgeous beach. While here, visit the Aldabra Giant Tortoise sanctuary and gaze upon an almost 2 century old tortoise! In the past, the island served as a quarantine space for yellow fever. Snorkeling is a huge pastime here and there are various spots to do this.
- Cheetah’s Rock – This is a must visit place to learn of the many conservation efforts of one individual-Jenny – and the difference it makes in the animal’s lives. From Chaka the zebra to Tyson the cheetah, Aslan the baby white lion, and King Kong the monkey, you will leave with utmost respect for the passion that’s behind all this effort. Visit here and be changed forever.
- Beaches – Zanzibar is renowned for its many beautiful beaches. Make your way to Kiwengwa, Nakupenda, Paje, and Jambiani and enjoy a day in the sun – snorkel, swim, or just lie on the beach and watch life unfold. Romantic Resorts in Zanzibar tend to be on the beach and you can have a peaceful time at any of the locations on this stunning island. Zanzibar’s beaches are pristine, waters are pure and marine life is rich. There’s a lot to do this year in Zanzibar.